Thursday 6 August 2020

Back in the saddle

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I AM BACK!

Lock-down began here in Scotland on Monday 23rd March 2020, initially for three weeks but it kept being extended until 29th May, when Phase 1 of easing the restrictions came into place - that's 10 weeks, or 67 days, when we were all asked to stay home and not spend time with anyone outside of our own households, only buying the absolute essentials once a week at the shops, only going outside for 30 minutes a day for physical activity, washing our hands with soap or anti-bac frequently and, unless you are a key worker, don't go to work, but by all means work from home if possible.

So, what did you do during this time, apart from all of the above?

Well, I was lucky, I found time to reconnect with my first true love: art.

I started working again on a project that had been abandoned due to over commitment in other areas of my life, which all suddenly vanished as C19 lockdown appeared. I re-engaged with the project and started to make progress, and this in turn started to motivate me to be do more.

I, like so many others, signed up for many creative  on-line classes and zoom webinars and soon my entire days were filled to the brim again, but with things that filled my well for a change, allowed me to think about how to improve my own skills, allowed me to dream about how I truly wanted to spend my time. 

I think this will be an experience that resonates with so many people this year as I've read and heard countless tales of people changing careers and taking early retirement during these past few months.

On Monday 4th May I set myself a challenge, aptly named #iamartist, to post an image of my art work every single day for 100 day in a row. Due to me being a bit dyslexic and getting my numbers wrong (yes, I was simultaneously trying to count both down and up from 100 at the same time - wtf was I thinking?) I think I am due to end on Wednesday 12th August, 102 days from beginning the challenge!

Self-promotion, as any good west-coast Scot will know, is not a thing we go in for much here. If people are confident we say they are 'sure of themselves' (with a negative connotation) or they think they are 'pure gallus' (again, quite negative). However, I have to admit that posting not just posting the work day after day, no matter what, but mostly the engagement this has given me with the people commenting on the work, has been my absolute utter saviour during these past 5 months. It would seem getting yourself out there is good for the soul.

So, that's it - I am back and ready for action!


No comments:

Post a Comment